Do You Know How To Play Position in Texas Hold Em?
Wednesday, September 1, 2021
Jim “Pocket Bullets” Paris
Much has been written about how to play position when you’re playing Texas Hold em. We were going to explain it from our own point of view based on our personal experiences, but after doing some extensive research we found this little guide that has helped us significantly. We hope it helps you with your game.
In early position, only play:
- High Pairs: Ace-Ace, King-King, Queen-Queen, Jack-Jack
- High Suited Cards: Ace-King, Ace-Queen, King-Queen, Ace-Jack, King-Jack, Queen-Jack, Jack-10
- High Unsuited Cards: Ace-King, Ace-Queen, King-Queen
In middle position, you can also play:
- High Suited Cards: Ace-10, King-10, Queen-10
- High Unsuited Cards: Ace-Jack, Ace-10, King-Jack, etc.
- Middle Pairs: 10-10, 9-9, 8-8
In late position you can add:
- Suited connectors, such as 9-10, 7-8, etc.
- Small pairs all the way down to 2s
- Ace-littles: A-8, A-6
We know that this guide is not the be all or cure all for all your poker woes but it should help. Just remember that every hand can be played differently depending on who you are playing with and the way they are betting their hands. As it has been said a million times by probably just as many players, learn to read the basic poker tells and study the other players around a Prestige Poker Table and don’t splash your chips all in based on this guide alone.
Leave us your thoughts or comments here!